Preston Guild 10km

Wet but mild conditions met the runners for yesterdays Preston 10km.  This years race was run on a slightly revised and remeasured course around Preston Town Centre and nearby parkland, but still included the steep climb between 8 and 9 kilometres which has proved to be my nemeses on my last two outings in this race.

Although I have turned out twice (Yorkshire Wolds and GNR) since my little health issue over the summer this was really my first time at trying to actually race since the incident..


I started off steady in what was a bumper sized field for this years race but soon found myself among familiar faces from previous visits to the area.




Although I dropped back slightly after the second mile I managed to pick things up again and work my way back up the field.  Hitting the hill at about 8km I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to climb it more comfortably than in previous years. But ' the sting is in the tail' as they say, and it was coming off the top of the hill that I started floundering with the result that I fell apart over the last 1000m or so, dropping at least a half a dozen places, to finish in 44th place in 40.02.





This gave me third M55 behind Joe Swarbeck and Red Rose runner Ken Addison (39.59).  The race was won by Preston Harriers' Robert Alllack from club mate Gethin Butler in 33.14.

The ladies race was won by Claire Bruce.





So, now its once again, back to the drawing board to add a bit more structure to the training along with a few more miles which will hopefully lead to faster races.

photos by Francesca

Comments