Getting used to the idea

Since my last post I have scoured the internet for training plans for 24 hour and 100 mile races as I tentatively start planning for Endure 24 next year.  Obviously it is much to early to start specific training.  So the plan currently is to try to increase the speed in my legs.  The reason for this is that when I do start specific training it will be a lot of steady miles and I want to go into this period with as much speed in my legs as possible.

Along with trying to get a little faster, I intend to gradually increase the distance of my Sunday run (currently only 10 - 12 miles), while at the same time generally increase the time I spend on my feet throughout the day.  This I hope will give me a good basic background on which I can build.  I intend to start specific training, probably 20 weeks out from race date.

On the subject of ultra running, I recently read what is probably the ultra book of the minute

Adharanand Finn's,'The Rise of the Ultra Runners'. This book describes the authors own training for ultra-marathoning, while discussing its growing popularity.

The book attempts to cover ultra's in all its formats as the authors journey takes him from a desert in Oman to the peaks of the Rockies, via a 400m track in London and on to his ultimate goal, the 105 mile UTMB (Ultra - Trail du Mont Blanc)

This book is a terrific read, which I would recommend not just to those interested in or intending to compete in an ultra but also to those who just want a small insight as to what is involved.

Comments