Don't forget the real achievement

As the controversy surrounding Nike's new running shoes continues unabated. With reviews and amendments by World Athletics to their rules surrounding footwear. The cynic in me wonders if some of this is being stirred up by rival shoe companies who are frustrated at being restricted in their own developments by Patents taken out by Nike.

Although I agree that if we have an organised sport then rules need to be reviewed and adapted to meet the demands of an ever changing world.  The problem for me is that this whole debate is taking away from the real breakthrough.

With The Telegraph now reporting "Nike have already smashed what was thought possible in the marathon...."

Yes, the shoes may have helped but....

Eliud Kipchoge has smashed what was thought possible in the marathon!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Allan.
I'm the wee Scot who ran around the Town Moor just before first GNR. That's when we worked at Carricks Bakery. Always remember that you could run up the hills quicker than I could run down them.
I'm now 62 and enjoying early retirement.
Hope life has been good to you and yours.
Cheers
Stephen Hutchison
Ps I remember the Albatross jokes. Oh and how much you liked Iggi Pop.
Alan Dent said…
Hi Stephen

Good to hear from you - I Cant run up the hills that quick now but am still trying. Are you still running?

Still working (part -time) and still into Iggy Pop

Hope you're enjoying retirement and are fit and well

Alan
Unknown said…
Sorry taken so long to reply. Glad you remember me. So pleased when I saw your blog. As you get older time and memories become so special.
Life after Carricks... Worked for six years at Hunters the bakery. Back to Glasgow. Worked in care, Special needs,Autism/challenging behaviour etc. So my experience of working with Geordies held me in great stead. Lol. (Have great memories of Newcastle and hold the North East in great esteem )
Turned sixty May 2017, Retired September and got married on a beach in Barbados in November (for the first time). Barbados was down to Susan my wife's cousin. She worked in Barbados for six months. Setting up the Prince's Trust, sadly she was diagnosed with cancer. The bucket list..... we got married on a beach in Barbados. Two days after her diagnosis we had an upbeat Saturday. Long story....if you, you tube. Fishpiesusan she's the one in black, my wife at the front and I'm adlibbing on the guitar.
So in answereliance, not still running, just dribbling on and on.
All that's good.
Cheers
Alan Dent said…

Hi Steven - Video looks like a good fun evening. The cancer diagnosis is not good but glad to hear everything else going your way.

After Carricks I worked in distribution for 6 years and for the last 30 odd years have been working for a Training company in Gateshead.

Hunters bakery is no more - demolished a few years back