Blaydon Race 2011

Winner Edwin Kipkorir
time 28.25

2nd place T Shiferaw
28.30

First British man home
4th place Ryan McLeod
 After spending the whole of the last week in two minds whether to run Blaydon or not I eventually decided to just try and run around as best as I could.  I also decided not to wear a watch so that I had no pressure from checking times etc.

Conditions for the race were good with temperatures at around 13C, although there was quite a fresh headwind for the majority of the 5.9 mile route from Newcastle to Blaydon.

As usual with the sound of Jackie Browns bell ringing in our ears, the field was off to its customary fast start.  Up front there was a terrific race (or so I am told - too far back to see any of it) between Kipkorir, Shiferaw, Kiptoc and local lads Ryan McLeod and Ian Hudspith (first V40 in 5th place in 28.37).

In the ladies race Justina Heslop, of Clapham, managed to hold off her rivals to once again take the ladies title in 31.44, finishing in 24th place overall.  Also in the ladies race Blaydon's Hester Dix had a great run to finish 8th lady, 70th overall in 34.15 and first Blaydon Harrier home.

From a personal point of view, I started off steady and managed to keep a consistent pace until Scotswood Bridge (about 3.5 miles), where once I hit the incline onto the bridge, I found myself starting to struggle.  I had decided before the race if I could manage to run around in under 40 mins I would be satisfied.  So I have to be happy with my 37.28 clocking. 


Hester Dix
Blaydon Harreirs

me heading for the finish

And a welcome bottle
of Ale at the finish


Thank you Francesca for the photo's - hopefully more to follow





Comments