More than a race

Following an easy four days Sunday saw me once again doing 12 miles tempo.  Although more successful than the previous Sunday, I am still no where near being race fit.  However, with the Blaydon Race this Thursday, I am going to have to decide if I run or not.  If I do it, I will have to try and treat it as a tempo run rather than a race.

Frequent readers of my posts will know that the Blaydon Race is a race I refer to often and as I have posted elsewhere that the race celebrates the original horse races as described in Geordie Ridley's famous song.

Next year will see the 150th anniversary of the celebrated song.  One of my early childhood memory's is at the age of 5, standing in the crowds on Scotswood Road, outside the Ord Arms, watching the parade celebrating the centenary.

I think, I have since read, somewhere. that there was also a road race that day, not a version of the current one, but I am not sure if that is correct.  If anyone reading this knows could you please let me know.

Anyhow, getting back to next year, there is a group campaigning to have special celebrations once again.  which would be great.  Newcastle Central MP Chi Onwurah has agreed to submit a formal Parliamentary petition on the campaigns behalf.

Anyone interested in added their  voice to the petition can do at http://www.blaydonraces150.co.uk/




Comments