Moving in the right direction

14 miles this morning took the weekly mileage up to 52 miles, my second biggest weekly mileage for the year! This mornings 14 also followed an outing at the Newcastle Park Run yesterday morning.  So all in all a big improvement from last week.

275 people turned out for the 5km Park Run on Newcastle Town Moor yesterday morning and it was good to meet up with some familiar faces from former years.  I did not have much of a plan in mind but talking to Jon Bell (formally of Elswick Harriers) prior to the start, he had ran 18.30 the week before I decided to try to hang onto him.  Things started well as I went through the first Km in 3.40.  The second Km was also in 3.40 and although I missed the 3km marker I am sure I did not slow, but John was by now pulling away and the wheels were starting to come off and by 4 km I was just hanging in until the finish.

My finishing time was 19.03 for 31st position (1st M50) and an age grade of 79.97%.  For the record Jon went on to finish in 18.34 for 19th place.

Although not a spectacular time by me it is an improvement on my last attempt at the Park Run of 14 seconds and even more pleasing in that it is the first time for 18 months that I have shown an improvement over any distance. 

So hopefully things are now starting to move in the right direction.

Comments

Christina said…
Any improvement is good improvement.
I hope you are icing and treating your legs well after that long run. Take care.
And here are some good wishes that things ARE moving in the right direction.
Alan Dent said…
Thanks Christina - and yes the ice pack is working overtime!