10000m Championships

Yesterday saw the combined running of the North East AA and VAA=NEE 10000m Championships at Monkton Stadium.

I knew that I was not in shape for this but could not let the year pass without one race on the track and this was my last chance and anyway a run out here would, even if I struggled, mean a faster run than a normal training run.

Of the 12 runners who toed the line in warm and blustrery conditions, numbers may have been affected by the Farringdon Cross Country meeting a few miles down the road, only 2 were seniors, still not the best of showings considering this was a championship race.

As the gun sounded a group of 3,Stew Bell, Jeff Priest and Guy Bracken moved away from the rest of the field, and as they set the pace I slogged my way around the 25 laps to the finish 8th overall and a time of 40.00.6, to give me second V50 in the VAA- NEE Championships.  First V50 in the Championships going to John Stephens of Low Fell, although first over 50 was actually Martin Farren who was running as a guest.

Leading results:

1st Stew Bell V40 Chester le Street 34.24.3
2nd Jeff Priest, Trafford, 34.31.8
3rd Guy Bracken, V45, NSP, 35.04.4

Comments