Bunny Run series

Last night was the first race in a 3 race series organised by All Terrain Events and held on Newcastle Town Moor.  Billed as 5km, the actual distance is 4.85Km.

Unlike the weekly 5km Parkruns which are held on the flat footpaths across the Town Moor, last nights course took you off the paths and included the two hills in the north west corner of the Moor.

With only 12 of us turning up for the race, this was certainly a low key event.  In fact, while waiting for the start, I counted more people (36) running around the Moor on training runs!!- presumably in preparation for next weeks Great North Run.

As the race got underway, in blustery conditions.  John Bell, Kevin Lister and myself immediately moved away from the rest of the field.  However, as John powered ahead and Kevin opened a gap on me, I felt uncomfortable and heavy.  In fact, I did not seem to get into my running until after the two hills as we ran past the top of Exhibition Park, about 3/4 of the way into the race.  Probably the result of a poor warm up.

John maintained his lead, finishing 1st in 17.59; Kevin was second in 18.40 and I clocked 19.01 for 3rd.

The next race is on Wednesday 21st September, with the final race on October 5th, hopefully these will attract a few more entrants.

Following the race and this morning my knees are quite tender and sore but a couple of easier days should see them all-right.

Comments