Great North Run and City Games

Over the last 5 years I have ran the Great North Run as a chaperone for a celebrity runner - usually Nell McAndrew and again this year I was due to run with Nell.  However, as she was aiming for a pb of around 1.24/1.25 I felt that in my current form I would probably be more of a hinderance than a help and so it was with some reluctance that I declined the offer. Nell went onto record a pb of 1.25. 

As a result I was given the opportunity to run without a celebrity so decided to not to wear a watch a just run as I felt and enjoy the day.  So after a quickish first mile I settled into a rhythm at what felt like 7min mile pace.  So it was a pleasant surprise when I reached 10 miles and my first opportunity to see a clock, in exactly 66 minutes.  I went onto finish in 1.26.24.  Still a long way short of what I feel I should be running but obviously I am in better shape than I thought!

The results show that I finished in 414th position and have me down as being in the 40-44 age group.  Obviously going from my youthful good looks rather than my date of birth.

At the front end the race was won in a new course record of 58.56 by Martin Mathathi with 2nd and 3rd placed Jonathan Maigo and Emmanuel Mutai also going under the hour.

On Saturday I went down to the Newcastle Quayside to watch the City Games.  This year it was a match between GB and the USA. Which the USA won 7- 3.  But, the action made for a good afternoons athletics with Mo Farah looking awesome in the 2 mile race.

Photos from City Games:

Mo Farrah leading mens 2 mile race


Mo winning 2 mile race

Hannah England winning Ladies 1 mile race

Womens 100m Hurdles

Comments

Terry Lonergan said…
Holy horrors, Batman! How could you NOT become the caped crusader and run with Nell Batwoman!!
I think you would have matched her stride for stride!
Next year....promise yourself.
Well done, Terry