North East Cross Country Championships 2011


It was never going to be one of my better runs but I can say that I am satisfied with the way it went.  Although it was cold and the course very heavy in places conditions at Cramlington for the North Eastern's were not as bad as I thought they were going to be at the beginning of the week.



The race, over 12.1 km, was won by Rick Stevenson of New Marske, who managed to hold off  Patrick and Jack Martin of Stockport.



With the course cutting up and getting heavier with each of the three laps the calf strain I picked up at the start of the week was tested to the limit and although I was beginning to feel it by the end of the race, it held out.


The plan was to start off steady and just try to maintain form and that is what I did, although I was definitely tiring towards the end.


I finished in 121st place and first Blaydon Harrier home.  As I said earlier, not my best result, but definitely one of the most satisfying.


Full results can be found at www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingrid=56046

But some results I noted are -  First over 50, Paul Merrison of Sunderland in 44th position and Andrew Pearson in 32nd .  Andrew has a blog at Running towards 40 and beyond! which is worth a read.

The women;s race was won by Rosie Smith of Durham.



This is the first time in a number of years that Blaydon have managed to field a full team.  Liam Frail being the only one to fly the flag in last years Championships. But we are already planning  a trip to Pontefract, to take in the Northern's in January.

The Photos are of the Blaydon Team and taken by Francesca , who acted as photographer for the day.

Comments