Music to my ears

The wearing of headphones / earphones and listening to music while running seems to be a topic that is guaranteed to generate debate.

This is a bit of a generalisation on my part, but it seems to be that older / traditional club runners tend on the whole not to favour listening to music while they run and newer / recreational runners tend to see listening to music to be an integral part of the training session.

Over the past few years I have read in Athletics Weekly and the like of the use of headphones being banned in some races.

I have also recently read an article from America which highlights that the "rate of headphone related pedestrian deaths has tripled in the last 6 years" Granted not all pedestrians will be runners.

So whether you advocate the listening to music whilst running or not it would appear that listening to music AFTER your training may be the way forward.

A new study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, entitled the Effect of Motivational Music on Lactate Levels During Recovery from Intense Exercise, details how a small study found that listening to music during recovery was associated with a greater decrease in blood lactate and in perceived exertion.

So I guess I will be listening to Hawkwind's Master of the Universe following tonight's session.

Time, this week, is again of the essence and it looks as though it will continue that way next week.  So it is going to be a case of fitting in training runs around everything else where I can.  Last night I only had time for a quick 4 miles so I decided to start of slowly with the aim of getting progressively faster over the four miles.  So I am quite happy with the return of miles in 8.34; 7.44; 7.26 and 6.24.

Comments