Last M50 race

Last night, I was in two minds as to whether or not to turn out at the first VAANEE Tack & Field meeting of the year.  As I had not completed a track session since last June and as I am still getting twinges from a troublesome left calf, perhaps a track race was not going to be the best of ideas.

But, how could I resist a chance to run, what would be, my last race in the M50 age group. So I headed off to Jarrow for the 3000m with two concessions in mind. Firstly, not to wear spikes and opt for racing flats instead and secondly, to start steady and if things were going OK then try to pick it up.

The race started in cold and blustery conditions and I duly slotted in, in 7th position. once settled, I set about trying to work my way steadily through the field. Which I did, moving into 3rd place, but well down on the front two, with about 300m to go.  My finishing time of 10.50.9 providing a benchmark from which hopefully I can improve over the summer.



Comments