Aiming for my slowest 300m ever

I would not normally set out to deliberately run slower but tomorrow at about 4.30pm I will be carrying the Olympic Flame, as part of the Olympic Torch Relay, along Villa Real Road in Consett.  Each leg is about 300m in length and I must admit I am going to take my time and enjoy the occasion.

I don't think I was the only person, but when people started talking about the Torch Relay, I thought that the entire distance (8000mile) would be covered on foot.  But, the Flame is actually transported by vehicle between those chosen sections where the Torchbearers actually carry the Torch.

However, I just found out yesterday that a team from Endurance Life have tried to set up a route following the Olympic Torch around Britain. But, running every step of the way. Called the Real Relay, the aim is to try to reach the games before the opening ceremony.

The relay started 10 days behind the official torch relay and is currently in Scotland.  All runners who sign up for a stage are asked to donate a minimum of £10 to CHICKS a charity providing week-long respite breaks for disadvantaged children across the UK.

Not all of the stages have been taken up yet.  Most stages are about 10 mile and runners need to be self supporting so if you are interested you can sign up by visiting either facebook or www.endurancelife.com/realrelay/.

Unfortunately, though when I tried to sign up, all the legs I could manage were already taken.  However Ian (@Ianlovesrunning on Twitter) of Blackhill Bounders has agreed that I can keep him company on his 13 mile leg on 24th June, from Castleside to Esh Village via Tow Law.

 Big Thanks Ian

Comments

Terry Lonergan said…
At last a proper runner carrying the torch instead of some so called pop celebrity! Hope the day goes well and you enjoy it. Look forward to the photos or even a video? Terry
Paul Tilley said…
Well deserved Alan, sounds like you had a great day mate, weel done.