On the track

I have just read that the track in the Olympic Stadium was made, as was the track in every Olympic stadium since the 1992 Games, by the Italian company Mondo.


The design of the track for the London Olympic Stadium reduces the need for running spikes to penetrate the surface and slopes slightly inwards for water run-off.

The traction and shock absorbing properties are split into two layers. The upper layer facilitates slip resistance, traction and durability.  While the lower layer is the cushion backing and is there for shock absorption.

All of which is a far cry from the track I did a session of 400's on last night.  Don't get me wrong, this is not a complaint, there are three Tartan tracks within reasonable driving distance of where I live.  But, Tuesday night is club night and our track at Blaydon is a homely all weather track with a bit of a trench worn into the inside lane. 

The reason for the track session is that this is the start of my quest to "get back" to some form by next year. Deciding not to be too ambitious and just to give myself a base from which to work, I set myself the target of running each 400m in 90 seconds with 90 seconds recovery. As for the number of reps, I would stop as soon as I was unable to maintain the 90 seconds for 400m.

Following a 3 mile warm up I started the session and ran the first 400m in 81 seconds (so much for the plan).  The problem was I felt comfortable at that pace so decided to alter it slightly.

The session was now 400m in 81 seconds with 99 seconds recovery for as long as I could maintain that pace. 

The result 6 x 400m all spot on 81 seconds.

At least I now have a starting point from which to build.

Comments