Sand Dancer

The Sand Dancer is a multi-terrain race of approximately 6 miles organised by South Shields Harriers.  Although, yesterday as the strong winds whipped up the sands from the beech it may have been more appropriate to call it the Sand Blaster!

Along with the weather conditions, tired and heavy legs from a heavy weeks training were always going to make for hard going and so it proved.  Finishing in 42.40, three and a half minutes down on last years time.

The race set off along the road from the Sand Dancer pub up onto the Leas at South Shields. However, the first obstacle was to negotiate a runner who, for some inexplicable reason decided to move sideways across the field as the race got underway, causing havoc for those whose paths he crossed..  After this it was a case of winding our way around heaps of sand that the wind had deposited onto the road, before climbing up onto the off road section and two laps around the Leas where we were met by the full force of the wind.

Starting steady I settled into a comfortable rhythm, despite the wind, which I managed to keep going until just after the 3 mile mark when I started to tire.  Despite slowing up I only dropped three places, before finishing weary legged on the track at Gypsy Green Stadium.

The VAANEE multi- terrain championships were also held in conjunction with this race and although I finished 3rd M55 overall, I was actually 2nd M55 in the championships.

As yet I cannot find any official results but will post a link when I do and hopefully some photographs too.

Comments