Views from beneath an umbrella

Yesterday following a 16 mile run in the morning I headed down to Gateshead for the second day of The European Team Championships.  I had watched the first days action, particularly Mo Farah's devastating last lap in the 5000m on the television and was looking forward to an afternoon of exciting athletics as Team GB tried to improve on their 3rd position.



Reading a write up of Saturday's proceedings in The Observer, the article finished by saying that rainfall of biblical proportions were predicted for the Sunday afternoon.  The heavy rain, thunder and lightning, although not necessitating the use of an Ark, did require the use of umbrella's and rain wear. 

Despite the rain (which forced the triple and high jumps to be moved indoors) an exciting afternoon of athletics was still to be had and I was particularly impressed with Emily Gorecka's performance in the ladies 5000m, in what was her international debut. 



Another aspect of the championships at Gateshead was that they were, despite the weather, still reasonably well attended.  I mention the crowd because there was an interesting  article on the Guardian website today on why despite the rise in participation in distance running the spectating of such events is in decline.

As for the rest of my week, I had set myself a target of 60 miles alongside an increase in quality.  Despite managing 62 miles for the week I must admit that I am finding it tough going trying to up the quality of the sessions at the same time as increasing the overall mileage.

Comments