Bridges of the Tyne 5 miles

As I left work last night and headed to Newcastle Quayside the temperature display on the car was still reading 26C.  Although the temperature did drop slightly by the time the start of the race came around it was still a warm one.

Lined up at the start by the Millennium Bridge I chatted to fellow Blaydon Harriers Mike and Isaac.  Isaac is a new addition to the club and helps reduce our age definition.

As we got underway I am sure the bridges that straddle the river looked resplendent but I was to busy trying to hang onto young Isaac to notice.  With the first mile completed in 5.48 Isaac started to pull away (or was it that I started to fall back?).  Anyway, entering mile two I spotted fellow M55 Graham Armstrong of Wallsend  just ahead, maintaining a steady rhythm I caught and passed him.  This, however, was short lived as a little further down the  line he came back past me and established a gap which I could not close down.

The course is a flat (and if you are in shape) fast out and back affair with only one slight incline at the turning point at Newcastle Business Park.

The race was won, in a new course record, of 24.46 by Ian Hudspeth of Morpeth Harriers with Alyson Dixon of Sunderland Strollers taking the women's race.  I took the second M50 prize with a time of 31.21 behind Graham Armstrong of Wallsend.

After a quick warm down, it seemed impolite not to head to the Tyne Bar to sample Ouseburn Brewery's specially brewed TBH (Tyne Bridge Harriers) Ale.

A good race and a great atmosphere -  Thanks TBH!

Comments