Yorkshire Wolds Half Marathon

This as I have stated previously is one of my favourite races.  This year, weather conditions were cooler than they had been all week and unlike in the past 2 or 3 years there was no rain.  This did not however, seem to lend it self to faster times, as all times seemed to be down on last year.

Winner Mike Jefferies 76.01
Not that I can use this as an excuse for not breaking the M55 course record, which I had set myself as a target this year.  undoubtedly my enforced lay off of four weeks didn't help but the biggest factor was most probably poor research on my part.  For some reason I had convinced myself that the record was 88.06, a time which in my current state of fitness was always going to be difficult but not impossible.  However, the night before I realised the record was in fact 85.06.

But a target is a target and as the race got underway I set off at a new planned pace aimed at bringing me home 3 minutes quicker than I had previously planned.  At 3 miles I was still slightly faster than 85 minute pace but as we started to climb, although I was still passing people, my pace was slowing significantly.



"
Last year's winner, 2nd place Phil Taylor
By 4 miles I was just on target but by the time I reached the top of the hill at 6 miles I was well down on my planned pace but still not far of the original pace I had planned to run.  I was also running by myself with large gaps between me and both the runner ahead and behind.

Trying to keep relaxed I pushed on but the inevitable happened and I started to pay the price of going off too quickly at the start.  Dropping one place just before 10 miles and another at the top of the last hill at about 12 miles as I continued to slow up.


A tired 21st place
Crossing the line in a tired 91.06 in 21st position and 1st M50.  The race being won by Mike Jefferies in just over 76min.     

It looks as though I won't be able to make an attempt on the record next year as the course will be changing next year as the Bishop Wilton Show which hosts the race is moving home.

Photos from Francesca - more photos from the race can be found here along with some others from Bishop Wilton Show

Comments