A mixed bag

My third week of marathon training turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag.

Monday turned into a rest day as my right knee was still pretty heavily swollen from the previous days race.  Luckily, however, the swelling had reduced by Tuesday evening and although still heavy legged was able to do an 11 mile fartlek session.

An easy 6 miles on Wednesday was followed by 12 miles with 3 x 2 miles with 5 mins jog recovery on Thursday.  Suffering a twinge in the left calf on the last effort saw me nursing the calf through an easy 5 miles on Friday.



Suffering no reaction from the calf and fancying a change of scenery on Saturday, I headed down to the Weardale Walk for a 5 mile fartlek session.



Then 17 miles on Sunday over a hilly route, taking in the nearby villages of Shotley Bridge, Newlands, Hedley on the Hill and Chopwell before heading into Chopwell Woods and down to Lintzford and the Derwent Walk before heading for home.  Worryingly I struggled quite badly over the last three miles.



I know that I have decided to take a more minimalist approach to the training for this marathon than I have done previously.  But I must admit that I am starting to worry a little over not doing so many miles.  With only 56 miles in this last week.



This is quite a contrast to the corresponding week for my last marathon which consisted of 80 miles and included two tempo runs, 1 of 3 miles and the other of 5 miles, an interval session consisting of 2 x 4 mins and 4 x2 mins, all on 2 mins jog recovery, a cross country race and a long run of 22 miles.

The photos were taken during the easier stretches of Saturdays fartlek session along the Weardale Way.

Comments