Redcar Half Marathon

I have had an on/off relationship with this race throughout my time of running.  The course has changed on a number of occasions over the years and having last ran this race in 2008, this was another new course for me.  I have a number of good memories from the numerous times I have ran at Redcar.  It was at Redcar that I last broke 70 minutes for the half marathon (16 year ago), but the one thing that always seems to spring to mind when anyone talks about Redcar is the wind.

1st place Paul Pollock

Yesterday, the weather conditions where bright and sunny with a stiff breeze.  Not the strong winds of previous years, so I was expecting a decent run.  I must admit though I struggled, going to pieces over the three mile stretch from miles 7 to 10, between Redcar and Marske, as the course headed directly into the breeze.

2nd place Andrew Wiles


Admittedly I probably started a little too quickly and as a result after 4 miles found myself falling back through the field as the more conservative starters filed past.

3rd place Ian Harding


Prior to the race I was expecting to run between 1.28 and 1.30 with 1.30 being a poor but acceptable result.  In the end I completed the course in 1.29.30 to finish in 96th position, so within my target.



The race was won by Paul Pollock of Kent AC in 67.05, with Andrew Wiles of New Marske (70.17) in second and Morpeth's Ian Harding 3rd in 70.55.



First lady was Shona Fletcher of Richmond and Zetland Harriers in 1.21.33 for 25th place overall.

4th placed James Bulman of New Marske was 1st M40 in 71.19 with Neil Byrne (79.49) first M45 and New Marske's Paul Gamble - Thompson first M50 (1.21.09)



While my category, M55, was won in 1.28.43 by Quaker Running Club's Brian Martin for 83rd overall from John Marshall of Heaton Harriers (1.28.56) in 85th place.  With me being 3rd M55.


For photos - thanks to Francesca

Comments