Walking a tightrope

My training at the moment seems a little bit like walking a tightrope.  Last week was my second week back following my Achilles problems and I managed to increase the mileage to 54 mile for the week.

The week started promisingly with a tempo run on Monday.  The planned speedwork on Tuesday, however, was swapped for a steady 10 miles due to the snow.

Wednesday was a comfortable 5 miles followed by a 9 mile fartlek on Thursday.  Friday and Saturday, however, were very light, easy runs due to some painful twinges from my right Achilles.

On Sunday it was a steady 15 miles.  Which started well but I found myself struggling over the last 5 miles and again had some reaction from my achilles.  Especially on the hillier sections of the run.

So now with only3 weeks to my next planned race (The Dentdale) I find myself torn between the desire to push on and the need to be cautious about this irksome Achilles.  I suppose it's all a question of balance.

Comments