Looking forward to getting back

It is now just over two weeks since my last bout of surgery and I am really looking forward to getting back into the running.  Obviously I will have to ease myself  into it  but I am really itching to start pounding the roads again.

My short term target, then, is going to be The Blaydon Race on 9th June.  This coincidently was the same race that I came back on following surgery last year.  However, last year I only had 2 weeks between resuming running and the race.  This time around I will have a couple of months!

Talking of pounding the roads.  How many times have you heard people say that all that running can't be good for you and the such like?  We'll a study carried out at Bristol University shows how the opposite may be more accurate.  That pounding the roads is actually good for you.

Although the study confirms that subjecting bones to abrupt stress prompts them to increase mass or at least reduces a loss in bone mass as people get older.  The study also suggests the amount of 'stress' required.  Citing running at a pace of 10 minute miles as a minimum requirement.

Hopefully when I start back, I can at least match that pace to start with.

Comments