Great North weekend

Well yesterday's Great North Run proved to be a record breaking day.  With the first ever 1 millionth finisher in a mass participation run, Mary Keitany breaking Paula Radcliffe's record and Mo Farah being the first British winner for 29 years.

From a personal point of view, due to my general lack of fitness, lack of training and to some extent a lack of motivation I approached this years run with some trepidation.  I was, as usual down to chaperone one of the celebrities and thoughts of, what if I can't keep up, had crossed my mind constantly over the days leading up to the race.

As it happens the celebrity I was assigned to decided not to run so I was left to run my own race.  I started off a little to fast and after the first couple of miles decided to ease up a little to a more sensible pace and from there it was just a case of keeping it steady up to the finish.  However, just after the 7 mile marker I spotted a couple of fellow Blaydon Harriers up ahead and the competitive instinct kicked in as I started to chase them down.

Passing them both a little further down the road.  They had both gone off too hard and were now paying the price.  The weather conditions were good, if a little warm.  However, once we turned at Whitemare Pool there was a cooling breeze to run into. Although I slowed up a little between miles 11 and 12 I was content with my time of 1.35.55, considering my lack of training.

..............................................
 

 
Saturday, saw me back on the Quayside for the Great North City Games, which once again provided some good, close quarter's athletics over some unusual distance such as 150m and 500m. 


 
 
 
 




 
 
Photos by Francesca - more can be found here
 
 
 

Comments