34 years and counting

In my last post I described how, after a poor training run, I had considered packing it all in - but in reality it was never going to happen and I'm sure that those people I told and some of you who read the post were well aware of the fact.

This month sees my 34th anniversary as a runner and despite things not going my way lately it would take a lot more than a few bad runs to make me give up.  Also I have my long goal of covering 100,000 miles before my 65th birthday and with the total currently somewhere above 86,500 I am well on track to achieve this target.

Obviously a lot has changed (apart from me getting older and slower) over the last 34 years.  From technological changes to running shoes and clothing to online race entries and race results texted to your phone within minutes of finishing a race.

However, a sign of the times we are now living in will be reflected in the forthcoming Tokyo Marathon on 22nd February.  Japan Running News reports that 65 riot police will be running the marathon armed with video camera's and pepper spray as part of a counterterrorism operation.

Comments