Blaydon Race 2015

Warm, near perfect conditions greeted the 4000 or so runners for this year's race.  My original plan was to just jog around the course and enjoy the atmosphere as we wound our way along the route made famous by Geordie Ridley.

However, as we lined up on the narrow starting line I spotted someone ahead of me who I recognised and knew would keep a steady pace and my plan changed to tracking them for the first 3 mile and then see what happens

As we got underway I homed in on my unsuspecting pacemaker, only to pass him after about 50 metres.  So much for plans!

As 7.10 pace is the quickest I have ran in the last 4 months (and that was only for 1 mile) reaching the first mile marker in 6.40 I thought to myself that this could get interesting (painful) by the end.  However, I kept it going, passing 3 mile in 19 minutes.

Then just after the 3 mile point as we hit the drag onto Scotswood Bridge I started to slow and I noticed people I had already passed coming back past me.  But, I kept it together and completed the 5.7 miles in 38.22 (chip time 38..09). 55seconds quicker than last year and an average pace of 6.43.

So I have to be happy with that and can now start picking things up a bit in training.  For  the first time in years things seem to be moving forward!

The race was won by Morpeth's Jonny Taylor in 26.25, while Alyson Dixon led home the ladies, finishing in 19th position overall in 29.40.  Full results can be found here

Hopefully my next post will be some photo's from the race.

Comments