Red Kite Trail Race

As we lined up along the side of the road on a sunny Sunday Morning, the ringing of a cow bell got this inaugural 8 mile trail race underway.  The race starting on Dipton Front Street was hosted by Derwent Valley Trail Runners.

Although just working my way back to some fitness, as this race was more or less on my doorstep and the course covered a lot of the paths I run on in training, I felt that I just had to turn out.

I knew it would be a bit of a challenge for me and so it proved.  As we headed out on a short section along Front Street, before turning off and heading down into the valley along gravel tracks, climbing stiles and through the fields until we reached the woods.  With plenty of fallen trees and other such obstacles to navigate.

By halfway I was beginning to struggle and had dropped from 9th place to 12th.  But, by the final 2 mile, consisting of very muddy tracks and mainly uphill  I was definitely floundering and reduced to a walk on some of the hilly sections.

On the final climb up to the finish I was passed by a further two runners and now back in 16th position.  However, as we hit the front street again and the short run in to the finish I managed to muster a sprint finish and pull back one place for 15th.

This was a great little race and with plentiful post race tea, coffee and soup  it is already pencilled into next years diary

Comments