Time is a tough taskmaster

I have not posted anything for a while as quite frankly I have not had anything particularly interesting to say.

My new found enthusiasm of a month or so ago was short lived as I picked up another injury (groin and abductor).

I am now, however, back to steady running every other day and find that I have a race against time to get into some sort of form with the Blaydon Race a little over 3 weeks away.

Time dominates your life as a runner.  Be it a race to get fit in time to compete,  Finding time to fit training into busy life schedules etc.


Time plays an important role in our training eg average pace, race pace, timed reps, time taken to run a particular stretch of a run (if you are a Strava addict).

Time also determines who we are as a runner and provides a comparison against others.  If anyone asks me what my marathon pb is for example I will say 2.25 (if you check the panel at the side of this page you will see that the exact time is 2.25 and 55 seconds. Missing off the seconds emphasises the time, especially for me, as my second quickest marathon is 2.26.00 (those 5 seconds were hard worked for).

As today I am officially another year older I have looked at my long term goal of running 100000 miles before turning 60 and calculated that I need to average 35 miles per week.  A few year back I would not have seen that as a problem.  But, not having even reached 20 mile a week for the last month or so,  it now seems a little daunting.

Having said that a challenge is not a challenge if it is not challenging.

Comments