Yorkshire Wolds Half Marathon

Well I am glad to report that my annual pilgrimage to the Yorkshire Wolds went a lot better than I had feared it would last week.  Ok,  my run didn't set the world alight but finishing nearly 7 minutes faster than last year confirmed that perhaps I am starting to head back in the right direction, despite recent falls and injuries.

Starting off very gently and well back in the field I had to resist the temptation to push on from the start and force myself not to respond when people passed me and just concentrate on my own pace.
I have started wearing a watch again (having not bothered for the past 3 years and relied upon running how I feel) and concentrated on the pace it showed  that I was going.  However, it is a downhill start so I was running faster than the average pace that I had in my mind.

The Start

Although I struggled on the uphill sections, things were going ok as I maintained a steady pace and started to catch and pass some of those who had passed me earlier.

Winner - Tristan Learoyd

Unfortunately at 8 miles recent injury problems started to catch up with me and my right hamstring started to stiffen up.  However, easing the pace ever so slightly meant I was able to keep going.

Phil Taylor - Bridlington RR
 
I struggled on the last hill up to the finish and dropped 2 places.  However, as mentioned earlier I was happy to have finished quicker than last year, in 46th position.



The leading runners were:

1st - Tristan Learoyd - New Marsk Harriers in 76.56
2nd - Phil Taylor - Bridlington RR in 78.04
3rd and 1st M40 - Stephen Maddison - York Knavesmire Harriers in 81,54

1st Lady was Tara Spillings - Unattached in 93.39 and 17th position overall.

As usual the beer tent was the first port of call on finishing and once gain another great day out at Bishop Wilton Show.

Hopefully another 7 minute improvement next year!

Comments