As the buzzard circled overhead

Warm conditions greeted the 166 participants for this years Yorkshire Wolds Half Marathon.  My legs still not having quite recovered from the Endure 24, my aim prior to the race was to just run around and enjoy.



Somehow though, it never seems to just work out that way.  Although I didn't go flying off at the start my pace was faster than I had had in mind.  But I was feeling comfortable.  However, it was not to last.  Struggling on the hills my legs were telling me they had had enough by 8 miles and at 10 miles they were completely shot.



On the final climb, both hamstrings were so tight that I could have cut cheese with them and I was reduced to a mere shuffle and looking skyward, a soaring buzzard reminded of those old Westerns where the Vultures circle awaiting the demise of their prey.

Finishing 75th in 1.58.31. I just managed to creep into the top half of the field.  Oh well, there is always next year!



The winner was Kyle Grey of Metro Aberdeen in 77.24.  While first woman and 5th overall was Helen Cross of York Triathlon in 84.09

Comments