On this day - 29th April

It's funny but having raced rarely over the last 5 years or so, it had to be this year that I determined that I would race more, only for the Covid 19 pandemic to come along with the resulting cancellation of races.

Well at least I am already entered for a number of races next year, their entry fees having been rolled over.

This afternoon I hit on the idea of looking back over my race diaries to see if I had actually raced on this day (29th April) in the past.  As it turns out I have - twice.

The first was in 1984. The race the North East 20 mile Championships at South Shields.  This used to be one of my favourite races and I would turn out every year (the best I ever managed was 2nd in 1hr 50 min 06 seconds) but sadly a few year back it went the same way as many other road races and is now no more.

In 1984, however, comments in my diary note, and I quote 'blew it - died over the last 5 miles'.  The South Shields 20 was a 4 lap race, finishing on the track at Gypsy Green Stadium.  Having led the field through 5 miles in 27.06, at 10 miles in 55.18 I was holding onto 4th place. Back up to 3rd at 15 miles (1.24.01), I eventually finished in 1.58.54 for 10th position.

The race was won by Jarrow and Hebburn's Ken Lowther.  Unfortunately I have not got a record of his time.

My notes for the second occasion I raced on 29th April are rather more sparse.  It was the Blyth 10km  in 2003 which I completed in 35.45 for 13th place overall (2nd M45).  The race was won by M. Brown of Morpeth Harriers.

I have quite enjoyed looking over these old diaries and may in the future pick another couple of random dates and see what I was doing, race wise. In the past.

Comments