The 9th June -races on this day

Today should have been the 40th running of Blaydon Harriers, Blaydon Race. A road race whose route follows as close as possible  the route taken in Geordie Ridley's famous song of 1862, When he left Newcastle for the horse racing in Blaydon.




Like all other sporting events, this year's race has been cancelled due to the Covid 19 pandemic, with entries being rolled over to next year.





Of the 39 race to date I have taken part in 34 of them.  I wasn't actually racing when the first one took place in 1981, not joining Blaydon Harriers until the end of July off that year.

The distance of the race varies from year to year due to changing road layouts, road works etc. But is usually between 5.2 and 5.9 miles.  Although one year when Scotswood Bridge was closed it was well over 7 mile.

My best position for the race was in 1987 when I finished 10th in 28.49 and in 1997 I was first over 40 (16th overall) in 29.38.



Comments