Run or Die

As I write this I am listening to 'Kilimanjaro', a collection of songs performed by the porters and guides who aid those treking up Mount Kilimanjaro.
I treked up Kilimanjaro in 2013. Summiting and descending in 7 days, which is par for the course.
In his book 'Run or Die' Kilian Jornet describes, after spending a week acclimatising part way up the mountain at the Barranco Wall (10,000 feet), how he ascended and descended the tallest mountain in Africa (19500 feet) in 7 hours and 14 minutes. Which was the then record time for this achievement. It has since been beaten by Swiss runner Karl Egloff in 6 hours 42 minutes!
To be honest I have put off reading this book due to some reviews which suggested that the narrative in no way did justice to what are undoubtedly some of the greatest achievements in running and I must admit that I agree. Perhaps the narrative has lost something in translation, having origionally been written in Spanish. Despite being a great admirer of Kilian Jornet and his achievements this first book has left me rather flat. As a result it may take me a little longer to investigate his other titles 'Above the Clouds' and 'Summits of My Life', but no doubt I will read them at some point.

Comments