40th Anniversary

"He was approaching the mystic state that is the athlete's true though unacknowledged goal: he was begining to be." - E.M.Forster, The Point of It.
This month see's the 40th annivesary of my starting to run, As detailed elswhere in this blog I started to run in order to complete the first North Run in 1981. Then having got the bug I joined Blaydon Harriers in the June of the same year. It was after joining Blaydon that I started keeping a running log and recording my mileage. Talking of which I am currently at 97,359 miles, towards my target of running 100,000 miles before my 65th birthday, with 15 month to go.
When I decided to run the first North Run I had no intention of continuing to run afterwards but having joined 'Blaydon' I became focused upon racing and improving my times. More latterly though I must admit that this focus has shifted and I am enjoying running for its own sake just as much as used to enjoy racing.
Looking at the data though, over the last 40 years as well as runnuing just over 97,000miles, I have competed in 995 races.
"/>
Of those 995 races I have managed to win 55.
Although I don't race so much these days and not at all at present, thanks to the Covid pandemic. I have not given up on racing, although I do not see another win on the horizon, But, one thing is for certain I have no intentions of giving up. I aim to continue enjoying, what has become a way of life. The feeling of freedom when you are out running in the countryside. The feeling of fulfilment when you achieve a goal(no matter how small). The fitness and wellbeing you feel and not forgetting the frienmdships built up with fellow runners and training partners over the years. Keep on Runninmg

Comments