Hot! Hot! Hot!

Conditions took there toll in this years running of the Yorkshire Wolds half marathon.
This is one of my favourite races and I duly made my annual pilgrimage down to Bishop Wilton.
With the race start at 10am under cloudless blue skies and the temperature already soaring I knew it was going to be tough. The hilly course being quite a demanding one and this year was won in what I beleive to be slowest winning time of 1.26.05 by Adam Thompson os Stockport Harriers, as the heat took its toll.
First lady was Helen Cross in 1.31.21 for 7th position overall.
As for my race, preparation had not been good as I was still suffering knee problems and felt as though I still had the 50 mile from Endure24 in my legs. But a steady start saw me settle into the race.
I maintained this up to the 9 mile mark, picking up places as I went. The wheels, however came off as I approached the final 3 miles and I knew it was going to be a long slow drag up the final hill to the finish. And so it proved as I dropped back down through the field.
Crossing the line in 2.09.05 for my slowest ever half marathon time for 59th place. I found it very tough this year but it is still one of my favourite races and I will be back again next year.

Comments