It was biblical

A plague of frogs and violent thunderstorm. The tag line for the Endure24 does describe the race as epic, brutal, relentless.
Ok, perhaps a plague of frogs is a bit of a stretch of the imagination but there were hundreds crossing the course between 1km and 2km which made for quite a bit of tip toeing.
Due to Covid restrictions there was a socially distanced start to this years race.
The course covers a 5 mile loop through Bramham Park near Leeds. The race had started in wet but quite refreshing conditions, and it was on the first of my laps as I descended the short but steep incline at 'Temptation corner' that I felt my knee go amd the return of the injury I had been carrying for the past couple of weeks.
As the rain died away the temperature started to rise as it turned into a muggy day. The atmosphere at the Endure races is great and I met a few old friends as we wound our way around the course. Unfortunatly my knee was getting worse and stopping only to strap the knee up I slowly continued on my way, but the knee was getting worse and I was increasingly having to walk.
Then about 11 hours into the race the rain started at first it was quite light but then the thunder rolled through and the lightning split the skies. The rain became torrential and visibilty was reduced to only a foot or so, the head torches we were wearing in the darkness unable to penetrate the rain. Conditions became so bad that the organisers decided to halt the race. Luckily I was able to complete the lap but those at the front half of a new circuit were stopped and ferried back to the race village in cars and ambulances.
By the time the race re-started with my knee swollen and very painful I decided reluctantly to withdraw having only completed 50 miles.
My sister Catherine, who had a target of surpassing her previous best of 45 miles did so with ease withdrawing at 55 miles and taking the family bragging rights - well done Catherine.
As usual we had a great supprt team of Beth, Francesca, Anita, Ross and Terry who divided their time between us - Thankyou!
It is now a race to get my knee sorted in time for the Yorkshire Wolds Half Marathon in a little under two weeks. As for this race, well it looks as though I have some unfinished business here and will probably be heading back next year.
If you want to read Francesca's take on Emdure24 and a few more photos you can here

Comments