The 40th Great North Run

Yesterday saw the eventual running of the 40th GNR. It having been postponed last year due to the Covid Pandemic. Covid retictions also meant that the race route for this year was changed. Instead of finishing at the coast in South Shields, the race both started and finished in Newcastle.
This was not a normal race, as apart from the elite fields, the mens race being won by Britain's Marc Scott and Hellen Obiri of Kenya winning the woman's race, the remainder of the field was started in waves, staggered throughout the morning and early afternoon. That said it was still a great event. I had not ran the GNR for a few years but as it was the very first North Run that got me into running I thought the 40th anniversary would be a good time to return.
I have been having problems with my right knee since the Endure 24 back in July but felt if I just took it steady and treat it more as a Sunday Run I would get through ok. And so it proved. Although I was always slightly quicker than my intended pace I managed to maintain my discipline and keep a relatively easy pace throughout, my knee only starting to bother me in the last mile or so. Mind you as the route doubled back on itself and I looked accross to the runners ahead of me on the other side of the road as they passed the 10km point I noticed training partner Luke. Timing myself until I reached the same point I realised that I was 3 minutes behind him and decided to try to chase him down. which I managed to do, although he did outsprint me over the last 100m. So all in all with a finishing time of 1.49.13 I was quite pleased with my efforts for the day. I enjoyed the route, although it was probably more difficult and a lot more undulating than the normal course.
This was my 998th race since I ran that first North Run (yes, i'm getting even sadder and checking how many races I have now ran) bu I have decided that along with my target of running 100,000 mles before my 65th birthday, I must also run 1000 races. The races target is obviously an easy one, but.......

Comments