Another one bites the dust - Yorkshire Wolds Half Marathon



 Saturday saw the 37th Yorkshire Wolds Half Marathon and unfortunately the last. This is one of my favourite races and was my 32nd attempt. However, the local Council are demanding road closures for any future races , the cost of which are prohibitive.


Saturday’s race took place in very warm conditions, but not as hot as some had been predicting. My plan was to just start slow and steady and try to keep a consistent pace.

The first part of the course is down hill and it is very easy to go off to hard, despite there being an off road section between miles 2 and 3.


You then hit the first of the hills on this undulating course.


Feeling stronger than I did last year I managed to keep a fairly consistent pace to complete the course in 1.57.35. Still not a great time but 12 minutes quicker than last year.


So, as this is the last half marathon the race statistics are not going to change. Not that I was ever going to beat my best time on this course of 71,40 these days and at least my M40 course record of 73.18 isn’t going to be beaten.


There are plans to replace the half marathon with a trail race next year and I’ll be there.





Comments