Running in Skiathos

Featuring heavily in the novels of Greek writer Alexandria Papadiamantos, Skiathos is a small Greek island in tha northwest Aegean Sea and the western most island in the Northern Sporades. Measuring approximately 9 km long and 5 km wide it boasts 26 designated and marked ‘hiking’ routes covering 130 miles, which are also ideal for running.


Unfortunately due to a niggling foot injury I didn’t manage to get as many runs in as I thought I would. But I thoroughly enjoyed those I did. 


Like most Greek islands the coast is made up of beaches and rugged bays but the hilly interior is heavily wooded with pine forests and the trails provide some stunning views.


There is also a trail half marathon on the island, held annually and named after Alexandria Papadiamantos. Who was born on the island.


Comments