It wasn’t far, it wasn’t fast and……

It certainly wasn’t pretty. BUT, I have managed my first run since breaking my foot before Christmas. In fact, despite trying to maintain my general fitness levels, it was probably the most uncomfortable 2 miles I can remember ever running. It can only be onward and upward from here, surely.

I have also been reading Rick Broadbent’s book Endurance- The Extraordinary Life’s and Times of Emile Zátopek.

The book not only portrays Zátopek’s running career but describes it in the context of the political situation of the time.

One of the quotes attributed to Zátopek in the book is “If you want to run, run a mile; if you want to experience a different life, run a marathon.” On reading this, although I could relate to where he is coming from I couldn’t help wondering how true that is today? 

In a world where running a marathon has become a sort of natural right of passage. Something on one’s bucket list. Obviously the circumstances are different today when the vast majority of marathon runners seem to be happy just to complete the distance rather than compete over the distance.Perhaps that is now why Ultra Marathons are becoming more popular?





Also in his book Rick Broadbent describes Daniel Lieberman of Harvard university’s paper ‘The Evolution of Marathon Running’ saying the upshot of man’s ability to run “is that endurance runners are true masters of the universe’

This, of course reminded me of one of my favourite tracks, Masters of the Universe’ by my favourite band Hawkwind.


 

Comments