In at the Deep End - Aqua Jogging


 Since breaking my foot towards the end of last year I have found it difficult to get back into running. I had originally thought I would be back, easing into it by Christmas, and I thought that was being generous.

As it has turned out it was the end of February before I was able to start. 4 months out, during which I tried to maintain general fitness. 

Two weeks in I then picked up a calf injury. After which I am now working my way back. I have found that the foot that I broke becomes painful and aches as I increase the length of my runs. This sometimes results in having to miss subsequent runs.

As a result I have adopted a session of Aqua jogging mid way through each week to take the pressure of my foot and still get a session in.

Aqua jogging, or deep water running is a cardiovascular activity that mimics the action of running while submerged in water, with the body kept upright by the use of a floatation belt around the waist

It uses the same muscles as running but the resistance of the water forces you to work harder. Although you can’t truly replicate those lung bursting sessions from the track or road I can still get in some tough sessions while avoiding any damaging impact on my foot.


Comments