The Bishop Wilton Beast


 Having been plagued with Calf problems since trying to get back following my broken foot I managed nearly 3 weeks of easy/steady running - obviously time for a race.

Not having been on the track for about 10 years the first choice was Blaydon Harriers club mile last Thursday evening where I quickly renewed an old relationship with Lactic Acid as my body didn’t know what had hit as I ground out a 7.34 mile.

Next up on Saturday was the first running of the Bishop Wilson Beast. A trail race, with nearly 1200 ft of climbing, it has replaced the Yorkshire Wolds Half Marathon which has been a staple of my racing calendar for nearly 40 years.

The race is held in conjunction with the Bishop Wilton Show and as we gathered on the Show Field for the start there was a strong wind with heavy grey clouds scudding across the sky.

I positioned myself in the middle of the field of runners as we headed out of the show and along a tarmac track before crossing the top of a field and down a very steep hill (the ‘Beast’), then along the valley floor before switching back and climbing up the opposite side of the valley.

From here it was a question of following a number of paths and tracks across and around a series of fields as we ran across and gradually down the other side of the hill and into Bishop Wilton itself.

When racing, what comes down must go back up and sure enough after a short stretch of tarmac we started winding our way back up the hill.to Givendale and another short tarmac stretch before again heading off road and a gradual decline, before following the valley bottom back to the ‘Beast’.

My legs had gone by now and with only about a mile left to go and with the ‘Beast’ looming over me I was forced to scale it at a slow walk/ hobble, dropping 5 places by the time I crested the hill and forced my tired legs towards the finish.

The race was won by Becky Penty of Knavesmire Harriers in 1.03.53.

2nd and first Male was Chin Yong from St Theresa’s AC ahead of Pocklington’s Steve Worth in 3rd.


I managed to complete the course in 1.27.04 for 66th place. There was no over 65 category so finished 5th over 60.


Despite lack of fitness I really ‘enjoyed’ this race 
and will continue my annual pilgrimage to Bishop Wilton next year.

Comments